Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Measure

Today I took time off from work to go for a ride with my wife on the motorcycle.  What a great chance to get in an early season ride.  The purpose of the trip was to ride, but we needed someplace to go so we thought we would take a chance on a surprise visit to some friends we haven't seen for a long time.  Unfortunately no one was home.  That's ok; our next stop was to the cottage at York Beach.  We knew it wasn't open for the season yet but like I said before we just needed somewhere to ride.  

What is so great about riding on the motorcycle?  The sun on my face, a cool breeze and time to think.  I would never like to be the type that has to have speakers blasting at me or a headset built into my helmet.  It is so hard these days to find time just to be quiet.   It gave me time to take stock of my life.  I thought about the joy of having my wife with me, the blessing of how my kids have turned out as adults, the friends that I have, my brothers and sisters in Christ and how much God’s grace has been given to me. 

The next words from Jesus are somewhat paradoxical.  He asks us not to judge, not to condemn, to be forgiving and to give of ourselves to others.  If we do these things we will not be judged, we will not be condemned and much will be given to us in good measure.

Luke 6:37"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

I certainly cannot obtain in my own life the ability to live up to these expectations.  Each day I need to look to God for forgiveness and strength.  I am overwhelmed with His grace, and His good measure. 

We live in a cynical world.  We are condemning, just as the Pharisees in earlier passages.  We are quick to judge and criticize.


Do you think you are a good person?  Do you think you don’t need a savior?  Spend the next couple of days to examine how you treat and think of others.  These commands from Jesus apply to each one of us. We need His forgiveness.


I know I probably should have had an Easter message here.  But these are the verses before us.  I pray they speak to your heart as much as mine.

No comments: