Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giving Thanks

1. A expression of gratitude; an acknowledgment expressive of a sense of favor or kindness received; obligation, claim, or desert, or gratitude; - now generally used in the plural.

If ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same.
- Luke vi. 33.

What great thank, then, if any man, reputed wise and constant, will neither do, nor permit others under his charge to do, that which he approves not, especially in matter of sin?
- Milton.

Thanks, thanks to thee, most worthy friend,
For the lesson thou hast taught.
- Longfellow.

His thanks of his or her own accord; with his or her good will; voluntary.
Full sooth is said that love ne lordship,
Will not, his thanks, have no fellowship.
- Chaucer

OT Yada
1) to give thanks,, laud, praise
2) to confess, confess (the name of God)
3) to confess sin
sometimes translated praise

Ps 107:1 OH, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever

NT eucharisteō

1) to be grateful, feel thankful

2) give thanks

1 Cor 1:4 I thank my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given to you by Christ Jesus,

It is very difficult to express by means of definition or example the full meaning of the idea of giving thanks.  It is more than just speaking the words.  How can words possibly express what I feel inside, the recognition that a gift has been given to me beyond what I deserve.

As I think of what God has done for me it is beyond imagining.  He has first of all given me through Jesus Christ His Son.  He has blessed me with an incredible family, friends, people I work with, neighbors and folks from far away.  I just got a call today from a Pastor in Tanzania. 

I just want to take this opportunity to remind you that you have been blessed beyond measure.  That God has given you life, he has given you love and he has given you others.  As you wake up tomorrow the day after the Thanksgiving holiday.  You can still give thanks.  And then the next day, and then the next all year long.   Giving thanks brings blessings to us as we are reminding ourselves what we have to be thankful for.

So remember to give thanks.  Oh!  Before I forget thanks for reading this.

2 comments:

Sam Stone said...

Thanks for the reminder Keith.
As we gathered with family and friends yesterday it was such a blessing to thank God for all He has given to us and especially for the salvation provided through His Son.
We are truly blessed and have much to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the interesting information