Sunday, July 27, 2008

Slow Down You Move Too Fast

This morning I was out having a cup of coffee with a close brother in Christ.  We had just finished an early morning ride on our motorcycles and were sharing a time of fellowship.  Which means we weren't just hanging around as buddies but discussing perspectives of our Christian walk.  The topic of being busy came up and I was asked to comment on what I thought that meant for us and ministry.  This is a very pertinent topic for those who have given their lives to Christ and especially here in the US where there are a lot of demands on our time.

Though I know it is a matter of balance to insure that I prioritize my time to insure that God is first, followed by my family and ministry.  I know that I still continue to over commit myself when faced with many opportunities for ministry, work and personal life.  As a matter of fact this blog is one of them. You might have noticed that my original intent was a weekly posting, preferably on Friday evening.  I have not been able to keep that commitment the past several weeks and I apologize for those who might have been waiting of looking in the mean time for an update.

Are there incidents in the Bible where someone becomes too busy, even doing God's work.

Rom 1:9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of His Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers, 10 making request if, by some means, now at last I may find a way in the will of God to come to you. 11 For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift, so that you may be established— 12 that is, that I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me.
13 Now I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that I often planned to come to you (but was hindered until now), that I might have some fruit among you also, just as among the other Gentiles. 14 I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to wise and to unwise. 15 So, as much as is in me, I am ready to preach the gospel to you who are in Rome also.


Paul who is an Apostle for Christ is writing to the Roman's a letter to explain the Gospel message.  Here at the beginning he lets them know of his plans.  He has requested through prayer that God make it possible for him to visit the Romans.  Currently Paul is already involved with a ministry to the Gentiles  in Asia Minor, where he has also been collecting money to bring to the Christians in Jerusalem for relief from a famine there.  Even though Paul is not married and doesn't have kids he still has only limited time and availability.  He can only do so much.  He wanted to go to Rome, but he was hindered by all the work he was already doing.  Paul is saying I am ready, in my mind I desire to preach the Gospel to Greeks, and barbarians, wise and unwise.

Lets jump to the end of Romans:

Rom 15:22 For this reason I also have been much hindered from coming to you. 23 But now no longer having a place in these parts, and having a great desire these many years to come to you, 24 whenever I journey to Spain, I shall come to you. For I hope to see you on my journey, and to be helped on my way there by you, if first I may enjoy your company for a while. 25 But now I am going to Jerusalem to minister to the saints. 26 For it pleased those from Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor among the saints who are in Jerusalem. ...28 Therefore, when I have performed this and have sealed to them this fruit, I shall go by way of you to Spain. 29 But I know that when I come to you, I shall come in the fullness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.

I won't comment too much on this passage but to point out that Paul was currently ministering in Macedonia and Achaia, planned to travel to Jerusalem, visit the Saints in Roman and then go on to Spain.  After visiting Jerusalem Paul ended up in prison in Rome.  Paul was repeatedly overwhelmed by the opportunity to preach the Gospel.  Even Jesus during his three years of ministry found the work overwhelming and needed to set time to withdraw and renew His strength.

Mt 14:22 Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go before Him to the other side, while He sent the multitudes away. 23 And when He had sent the multitudes away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray. Now when evening came, He was alone there.

I would encourage you to heed the warning made popular in a song from Simon and Garfunkel called "Feeling Groovy".  The song starts out with "Slow Down You Move Too Fast".  We need to set aside time to pray and renew our strength and allow God to empower you by His Holy Spirit.

Please keep me in prayer to insure that I am able to be faithful in providing encouragement through God's Word and that I don't take on more than is good for keeping my priorities straight. 

No comments: